Pages

Monday, August 13, 2007

Have you "transisted" lately?

Several weeks ago I was traveling from Los Angeles to Singapore. While I was in the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) during a period of about 5 hours, I heard numerous Public Service Announcements (PSA’s) over the Public Address (PA) system. One of the PSA’s was the recorded voice of a female who repeated the same message every few minutes. She said, “If you are transisting from the Domestic Terminal to the International Terminal…” or, “If you are transisting through LAX….” The emphasis on the word “transisting” in the quotation is mine. But, that was the word she used in that context. The word “transisting” does not exist!

Words are important. They convey ideas and messages. Choosing the correct words are important for communicating ideas in the right way. An old saying I used to hear was, “A slip of the lip can sink a ship.” We have heard much about the “dumbing down” of America. And, we hear much about people who supposedly have a diploma, but cannot read or write. I do not know if the script given to the announcer was written correctly or incorrectly. I do not know if she was following the script as written, or if she just made up a word. Maybe she was half-blind and thought "transisting" was actually in the script. But, whatever the reason, when she said the word “transisting,” she was in error. One does not “transist” through an airport. Possibly, she was trying to say the word “transiting.” I really think the word she was supposed to be saying was “transiting.” This would have been the appropriate word. But, to hear such a gross mistake in wording was irritating and embarrassing to me. I wonder if anyone from Los Angeles has heard the mistake? I wonder if anyone in L.A. has tried to correct the error? I wonder if anyone in L.A. cares. If I am “transisting” I may be sending out a controlled signal—maybe I am just an electrical conduit.

The above matters have little, if anything, to do with spiritual matters per se. But, in matters that are spiritual, one must choose his words wisely as he tries to communicate the word of God to others, or in normal conversation. We are not to take God’s name in vain, swear, use profanity, tell dirty stories, lie, or slander.

The Scriptures teach, "A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things. But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned." –Matthew 12:35-37.


SPW